If the resurrection of this idea makes you feel anything, then you can thank erschlagener
for it. He recently asked me about re-uploading some of the old mixes I had done, which was very flattering, and it got me thinking about doing a new one.
Truthfully, I've thought about coming back to this for a while, just not on LJ. I've thought about offering to make mix CDs for people on Facebook just because I miss it. I miss introducing people to new music. I don't listen to anywhere near as much music as I used to, due to a lack of time, but I still enjoy checking out new, weird shit when I can.
Most of the time I download albums that sounds interesting, stick them on my iPod alongside the stuff already there that I know and love and just listen on Shuffle. It's a very poor way to hear full albums, but I like being surprised by things I've never heard before. I do about 99.9% of my music listening in the car now and it seems like a good way to use the time.
Occasionally, I'll come across a track that stands out some and I'll add to it a list. I have the ShopShop app on my phone which I use for playlist ideas rather than actual shopping lists. It was immensely helpful when preparing for my wedding a few months ago, when I was basically sticking any song on my external hard drive whose title made it sound vaguely romance related on my iPod and then listening on random in the car. I hear a song I like, I add it to the list. Done.
Now that I'm thinking of it, the wedding playlist would have been a better mix to do now. Shit. Oh well.
Contrary to what is normally considered a good idea, I download the music I download on my computer at work. And I keep copies of all the files stored on it, too, alongside my external hard drive at home. So, I actually have a little less than 50GB of music available to me here, now and all of the music in this mix is stored there and was on my ShopShop list called "For Mixes".
The idea here is solely to introduce people to music they might not otherwise have heard. When I do these, you're not going to see a Radiohead song or Led Zeppelin. Most people probably already have an opinion on those bands, so why bother? This is for new stuff. I doubt anyone is going to like all of these, but I'm hoping you might find something you like by a band that you're not familiar with. The tracks vary in genre and style on purpose. There is no flow to this and no suggested order in which to listen to them.
So click on the link below, download the zip file from Mediafire and enjoy.ADGY MIX #33Tracklisting (in no particular order):Giant Squid
- "Tongue Stones (Megaptera Megachasmacarcharias)", from the album CenotesChelsea Wolfe
- "Feral Love", not yet available on any albumDaniel Bjarnason
- "Bow To String: Sorrow Conquers Happiness", from the album ProcessionsOmega Massif
- "Wölfe", from the album KarpatiaCold Body Radiation
- "Shimmer", from the album Deer TwilightMogwai
- "Does This Always Happen?", from the Earth Division
- "If Anyone Tells Me ''It's Better To Have Loved And Lost Than To Never Have Loved At Al'', I Will Stab Them The Face", from the album The Broken ManMurralin Lane
- "She Collected", from the album Our House Is On The WallThought Forms
- "We Would Be So Happy If...", from the album Thought FormsRoly Porter
- "Hessra", from the album AftertimeLudovico Einaudi
- "Andare", from the album Islands: Essential EinaudiHildur Guðnadóttir
- "Unveiled", from the album Without Sinking
There you go. When I was doing these before, I made them just so that they'd fit and fill up a CD-R, and I think that's still a good size.
On a related note, there are a few of the older mixes that still have active links if you're interested in checking them out at all.Mix #28Mix #27Mix #26Mix #25Mix #23Mix #21
Additionally, both of the mixes of favorite tracks from 2011
are still good.